How does the program work?
There are three elements to the teenSMART program. All are done at your convenience at home:
1. Computer-based driving tutorials are completed on the home computer using the set of 6 CD-ROMs. The CD-ROM sessions provide hands-on, in-depth practice. Teens are asked to demonstrate specific driving skills and are given immediate, interactive feedback.
2. Parent-Teen Activities include a lively and informative video, accompanied by a Student Workbook and Parent Guide. These materials provide easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions for completing the program. With in-car driving sessions conducted under parental supervision, teens apply what they have learned to real-world driving situations.
3. The final program element is a Certification Test completed on the home computer. Teens receive ADEPT Driver certification once they pass the test and send their test results to ADEPT Driver.
THE teenSMART PROCESS
1. Customers call their AAA Sales Representative or Customer Care for information about actual insurance premium savings. call 1-800-207-3618
2. Customers purchase the course directly from ADEPT via phone (800-737-7890). The ADEPT order line is available 24 hours a day. Product support hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Time. VISA and MasterCard are accepted.
3. Teen and parents complete the eight- to ten-hour program.
4. Teen successfully completes the certification test and sends results to ADEPT via mail or email.
5. ADEPT sends teenSMART graduation information to AAA Insurance twice a month.
6. AAA Insurance applies the SMART Driver Discount to the policy.
What is included in the teenSMART program?
The complete teenSMART program consists of a teenSMART Certification license, Student Workbook, Parent Guide, Driving Practice Manual, Parent-Teen Activity Video (DVD or VHS), and a 6 CD-ROM set. Customers who order additional certification licenses at reduced prices will just receive an additional Student Workbook. Other program items will be shared.
How long does the program take to complete?
Estimate eight to ten hours to complete the entire eight-step program. Approximately half of the time is allotted to Parent-Teen Activities, which include in-car driving exercises. Computer Time Activities and the at-home Certification Test take up the remaining time. Each program step can easily be completed in an hour.
How does the certification process work?
When the teen has completed all of the Computer Time activities and entered the codes from the teenSMART Parent-Teen Activity Video, they will be allowed to take the Certification Test. Teens may take the test as many times as they need to in order to pass. When the teen has passed both parts of the Certification Test, they will see a message on the computer screen congratulating them and they will be allowed to save their test results on the computer. The program does not automatically print a certificate of completion. The teen then e-mails the test file to ADEPT Driver at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Who qualifies for the AAA SMART Driver Discount?
A. Licensed teens age 16-18 who are violation and accident free on a AAA Insurance automobile policy are eligible for the discount.
Q. What are the requirements to take the program?
A. A driver’s license or permit for the teen driver; a TV and VCR; any personal computer with Windows 95 or higher, 32 MB RAM, Pentium 200 MHz processor, 4X CD-ROM drive. teenSMART is not currently Macintosh compatible. However, some Macintosh owners have successfully run teenSMART using Virtual PC, but ADEPT cannot provide technical support for Macintosh systems.
Q. When and for how long will the SMART Driver Discount be applied?
A. If a customer purchases and completes the teenSMART program within 60 days of policy inception, renewal or adding a teen to their policy, the discount will be applied retroactively back to the inception date, renewal date or the date the teen was added. If a customer completes the program after the 60-day window, the discount will be applied as of the date the teen passes the teenSMART certification test. The discount is available beginning at age 16 and is removed at the first policy renewal after the teen turns 19.
Q. Can the teen lose the discount early?
A. Teens can lose the SMART Driver Discount early if they are convicted of a moving violation, are principally at-fault in an accident, or their driver’s license is suspended or revoked for any reason.
Q. What is the cost of the program?
A. The regular course cost is $119.95. The price for AAA customers with a AAA $50.00 discount is $69.95. Additional copies of the program that are sent to the same address cost $49.95. Basic shipping and handling of $8.00 is added to the price of all orders, and tax is added where applicable.
Q. Do customers need to purchase a separate copy for each teen?
A. A purchase is required for each teen to receive teenSMART Certification. However, there are program components that can be shared by several teens. Therefore, if there are multiple orders that go to the same address, the additional orders are only $49.95.
Q. How long does teenSMART take to complete?
A Plan on eight to ten hours to complete the entire eight-step program. Approximately half of the time is allotted to Parent- Teen Activities, which include in-car-driving exercises. Computer Time Activities and the at-home Certification Test take up the remaining time.
Q. How does the certification process work?
A When the teen has completed all of the Computer Time activities and entered the codes from the teenSMART video, they will be allowed to take the Certification Test. Teens may take the test as many times as they need to in order to pass. Teens mail or email their test results back to ADEPT where a Certificate of Completion will be generated and sent to the teen. ADEPT sends certification results to AAA Insurance twice a month.
Q. Who do I call if I have other questions about teenSMART or the SMART Driver Discount and how it is applied?
A. teenSMART purchases and technical questions are handled by ADEPT. The toll-free phone number is (800) 737-7890. All SMART Driver Discount questions can be answered by your AAA Sales Representative or Customer Care. The Customer Care phone number is (800) 207-3618.