Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit 

Anyone traveling into Sonora or the Interior must get a Vehicle Permit.  When you drive your car into Mexico, the authorities there consider it a temporary importation of that vehicle and they want your promise that you will return the vehicle to the U.S, so you will also sign a second document called a Promise To Return Vehicle.

To obtain the Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit, you must have:

  • Valid drivers license.
  • Vehicle's original title or original registration.
  • If the vehicle is leased or is not owned by you, you must have a notarized letter from the leasing company and/or registered owner giving you permission to take the vehicle into Mexico.  Be sure it includes the VIN number.
  • If there is a lien on the vehicle, a letter from the lien-holder authorizing use of the vehicle in Mexico.
  • Major credit card in your name (on a U.S. or Canadian bank).  Use the card to pay the vehicle permit fee, approximately $11-$20.  Note: This card is also used to guarantee to the Mexican government that the vehicle will be returned to the U.S.  If you do not wish to use a credit card, you must post a bond equal to the value of your vehicle, a costly and involved procedure.