No. You can self-refer to a provider, including specialists, for most services. However, services must be provided by a covered provider type, and you will save money by seeing preferred providers (called network providers for UMP Plus).

You do need a written treatment plan for the following services:

In addition, your provider may be required to submit a treatment plan to demonstrate medical necessity for outpatient chemical dependency services.