Proof of Citizenship & Identity

Canadian law requires visitors 18 and over to carry two forms of identification: proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A United States passport, passport card, or NEXUS card meets this requirement. You will also need a government-issued photo identification such as a driver's license. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S., bring your Permanent Resident Card.

Traveling with Children

Children under the age of 18 must have proof of citizenship and proof of identify. Again, a U.S. passport meets these requirements. If you do not have a passport, you may present a birth certificate and government-issued photo identification. If you are traveling with children for whom you do not have legal custody, CBSA may require a notarized affidavit or letter of consent from the minors' parents. This document should include the name, address and phone numbers where the parents or guardian may be contacted and dates of travel. Parents who share custody of children should bring copies of legal custody documents and a letter from the custodial parents indicating the children are not being abducted or taken against their will. The letter should include contact information such as name, address and phone number of custodial parent and dates of travel.

Driver's License & Car Insurance

U.S. driver's licenses are valid in Canada. You do not need an International Driving Permit (IDP). U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as you are traveling as a tourist in Canada. Proof of auto insurance is required. Contact your insurance firm beforehand to get a Canadian insurance card. It's a good idea to carry your driver's license even if you do not expect to be driving. It can also serve as a second form of identification.

Traveler Insurance

International travelers and vacationers planning tours as well as those traveling independently often add special insurance coverage for their trips. Travel policies cover financial and medical concerns. Coverage may include cancellation charges, trip delay, personal accident, emergency medical expenses, international legal expenses, personal documents and passport loss, lost or damaged baggage, rental car damage and emergency evacuation. You can tailor a policy to cover your exact needs and interests. For instance, if you plan to parasail, add a rider to cover such extreme sports. Before purchasing traveler insurance, check with your health insurance company to see if you already have coverage in Canada.