If you have already tried stopping this service with the merchant, and they are still debiting your account, the best thing to do would be to cancel your card and order a new card.  Next, call the merchant and try to receive a credit directly from them (if they have charged your account). If this does not work, go into your local branch and fill out a debit card dispute form or call us at 1.800.388.2000 and we will mail the form to you.
There is a replacement fee for new debit cards.  Please refer to our Service Fee Schedule