If you need to replace a card that you still have and is not lost or stolen then call 509.455.4700 and a member service representative can help you.  You can contact a member service representative at any branch location as well. A card will be replaced with the same account number.
If you need to replace a card because you can not find the card or you suspect it may have been stolen then we need to report it as a lost or stolen card.  Click here for lost or stolen phone numbers.  A new account number will be issued.