To enroll in a health savings account, IRS rules require that an individual must:

  • Have a qualified high-deductible health plan (also called a consumer-directed health plan).
  • Have no other comprehensive health coverage, with certain exceptions allowed by the IRS (for example, dental, vision, long-term care, disability are allowed).
  • Not be enrolled in Medicare.
  • Not be enrolled in a flexible spending account. This includes if your spouse has an FSA, even if you are not covering your spouse on your CDHP.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
  • Not have received Veterans’ Administration benefits (including prescription drugs) in the three months before your CDHP enrollment begins, or have TRICARE coverage.
  • Have a "limited VEBA account" (if you or your spouse has VEBA).

Other exclusions apply.

For more information
You can find more details at and in the following Internal Revenue Service publications:

  • Publication 969, Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans
  • Internal Revenue Bulletin 2007-10 (March 5, 2007), Notice 2007—22, Health Savings Accounts

Call HealthEquity Inc. (the trustee for the PEBB plans’ health savings accounts) toll-free at 1-877-873-8823 to verify whether you qualify.