General mortgage information for those who lost homes in the fires

  • What happens to my first mortgage if my house was destroyed?
    • If your first mortgage is with RCU and you wish to rebuild, your existing mortgage will stay in place under its current terms.
    • If you do not wish to rebuild, you may pay off the mortgage.
  • I lost my home paperwork in the fires. Can RCU help me obtain a copy of my deed of trust and/or appraisal?
    • Yes – if you have your mortgage loan with RCU, we can help you obtain a copy of your deed of trust and appraisal.
  • Will RCU require my loan to be paid in full if my house was destroyed?
    • No. RCU is working with all affected Members to reach the best solution for their individual situation.
  • What if I only have partial damage to my property but not a total loss?
    • RCU is working with all affected Members to restore their damaged property. Please contact us at (707) 545-4000, option 3, then 6.
  • Will I still have access to my available balance on my HELOC?
    • Yes –you can still access your HELOC funds.
  • Can I qualify for a new mortgage loan?
    • You may qualify for a new mortgage loan. Please apply online or contact our mortgage lending team to have them help you with the process.
  • Will you honor my rate if I pay off my loan and take out a new one?
    • To maintain your current interest rate, you must continue to make your payments as scheduled, and restore/rebuild.
  • How do homeowners handle the cleanup process?
    • Please contact your insurance company to determine what coverage and assistance you have available for the cleanup process.
    • Cleanup can be handled by FEMA or by private clean-up services. Please see “Additional Resources” at the end of this article for more information.
  • What if I want to pay off my mortgage and sell my land?
    • If your mortgage is with RCU, contact us at 1-800-479-7928 option 3 then 6. If your mortgage is not with RCU, contact your lender directly.
    • Contact a realtor to sell your land.
    • At that point, we can prequalify you for a new home loan if desired.
  • What happens to the tax and insurance money in my current escrow (impound) account? Will RCU pay the property taxes? What about insurance?
    • RCU will continue to pay property taxes and insurance premiums if that is part of your loan agreement under its normal schedule.
  • What if I want to pay off my mortgage and sell my land?
    • If you have an escrow (impound) account, continue making your regular payments. If the County lowers your property taxes due to reassessment, they will issue you a refund.
    • If you do not have an escrow (impound) account, refer to your County Tax Assessor's (or Collector's) website.

Additional Resources

updated 12/22/17