You can use your original birth certificate, or a copy with the raised seal. Keep in mind the relaxed rules allowing the photo ID and proof of application, are good only for leaving and re-entering the United States. Mexico, Canada and other countries still require proof of U.S. citizenship -- usually a birth certificate -- before travelers can enter the country. Other countries have their own entry-exit requirements that frequently mandate a passport even if the U.S. does not. The State Department has reported many cases where travelers are denied boarding at U.S. airports or refused entry to foreign countries because of the requirements. The Jamaican embassy confirms that a birth certificate, government-issued photo ID and proof of passport application from the U.S. State Department will satisfy its requirements. Always check the entry requirements for the specific country you are traveling to.