Your request is being processed...
  • Knowledge Base
  • 1. Why are there different hours specifically for license and vehicle services? Views: 1103 Public
    For your convenience, we encourage you to schedule an appointment for your visit to the AAA License Bureau (DMV), however, we do accept walk-in customers on a first-come, first-served basis. If capacity is reached on a given day for walk-in transactions, customers will be informed upon entering the building in St. Louis Park.
  • 2. Can I take the driver knowledge/permit test at AAA? Views: 446 Public
    No, AAA Minneapolis does not administer driver tests. Permit/knowledge tests must be taken at a Driver Exam Station. To find a location, visit the MN DVS Locations page.
  • 3. Can I renew my MN driver's license or ID card online? Views: 189 Public
    You can now renew or replace a standard Minnesota driver’s license or ID card online. Go to drive.mn.gov , select Apply for a Driver’s License or State ID and follow the prompts. Card holders will not be required to have a vision screening and new photo taken until the next time they renew or upgrade their license. Apply to Renew Your Card Online Exceptions for Online Renewals You must visit a DMV office in-person if: You need to change your name You need to change your address   More...
  • 4. What are the accepted documents for a REAL ID card? Views: 1593 Public
    Quick List: Most Common Accepted Documents for REAL ID Providing all four of these documents is the most common when applying for Real ID: Unexpired Passport or Birth Certificate* Social Security Card* Unexpired MN Driver's License/ID (must have current address) Bank/Credit Card Statement issued in the last 12 months If these documents don't work for you, see the full list of acceptable documents . *Names on documents must match current name, or proof of name change must be provided. Not  More...
  • 5. What forms of payment do you accept for License & Vehicle Registration Services? Views: 1581 Public
    In addition to cash, AAA Minneapolis accepts the following methods of payment: Check Only local checks are accepted Personal checks must be presented by the account holder; we do not accept blank or starter checks A current government-issued photo ID must be presented by the account holder All returned checks will be subject to a $30.00 service fee Personal checks must be made payable to AAA for the exact amount Cashiers Check/Money Order Your Cashier’s Check or Money Order must be issued   More...
  • 6. What are the busiest times for license & vehicle service? Views: 1378 Public
    1st of the month through 10th of the month End of the month Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays Lunch rush – roughly 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
  • 7. How can I get my tabs if I don’t have the reminder notice the state sends out? Views: 1006 Public
    If you do not have your renewal notice from the state, you can purchase your tabs from us. If you are the registered owner, bring your driver’s license, vehicle license plate number, and have your auto insurance information available. Insurance information must include company name, policy number, and expiration date. If you are not the registered owner of the vehicle, you must have signed authorization allowing you to purchase the tabs for the owner. The signed authorization document must  More...
  • 8. What are the accepted documents for a standard license/ID card? Views: 839 Public
    For a current list of accepted documents for a standard license/ID card, see the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Standard DL/ID Identification Requirements document. REAL ID cards require additional documentation compared to the requirements for a standard Minnesota driver's license.
  • 9. How do I transfer a Title? Views: 696 Public
    Before You Arrive On all vehicles 10 years old or newer, the mileage as it appears on the odometer needs to be recorded. All current registered owners must sign off as sellers before the transfer can be completed. If there is a lien holder listed on the title, the seller needs to obtain a notarized lien release form from the bank before the transfer can take place. This is necessary even if you paid the loan off years ago. If the bank is still listed on the title, a lien release is required. Wha  More...
  • 10. Can I get a passport at AAA? Views: 682 Public
    Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify United States passports at Passport Acceptance Facilities or by mail . AAA offers application forms and photos at our Travel Store locations to help you begin the process. Passport Photo Prices Application Information
  • 11. How do I register my car in Minnesota for the first time? Views: 661 Public
    The following is a checklist of the items we will need in order to help you register your vehicle in Minnesota for the first time: Your current ID from Minnesota or another state Your auto insurance information for the vehicle, including the company name, policy number, and expiration date If you purchased your car in another state, and will be transferring the car into your name in Minnesota, bring the title or manufacturer’s certificate of origin, signed off by the seller or dealership y  More...
  • 12. What are the License & Vehicle Registration Bureau (DMV) hours? Views: 459 Public
    The hours for our License Vehicle Registration Bureau are the same as our office hours at the St. Louis Park location . There is an exception for license, permit, and ID card transactions , which end 2 hours prior to posted closing times.
  • 13. What are accepted name change documents? Views: 449 Public
    Name Change Documents for REAL ID When applying for a REAL ID, if the name on the document(s) is not the same as the name you currently use, one of the name change document listed below must be submitted: Certification of marriage certified by the issuing government jurisdiction Certified court order that specifies the name change Certified divorce decree or dissolution of marriage that specifies the name change Name Change Documents for Enhanced Cards When applying for an Enhanced card, if your  More...
  • 14. My drivers license/state ID is lost or stolen. How can I get a duplicate? Views: 441 Public
    We can help you replace your lost or stolen Minnesota driver’s license/state ID with the state of Minnesota ID photo and signature on file. Visit our License and Vehicle Registration Services page for more information about office location, hours, and cost.
  • 15. Where can I take my road test? Views: 289 Public
    To search for a driver testing station near you, go to the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services website .
  • 16. Do I have to be a AAA member to renew my tabs or license at the AAA License Bureau? Views: 191 Public
    No, our License Bureau is open to the public!
  • 17. What are the accepted primary and secondary documents for the driving knowledge/permit test? Views: 162 Public
    See the current requirements for a STANDARD driver's license or ID card .
  • 18. Is there a way to check current wait times for license & vehicle services? Views: 113 Public
    At this time, the AAA License Bureau (DMV) is unable to provide live wait time estimates. Due to the increased demand for REAL ID and processing times, our license bureau is experiencing longer-than-usual wait times, similar to other DMV centers in the state. To reduce wait times, please ensure you have the required documentation if you are applying for REAL ID. You may also pre-apply online for your license renewal, including applications for REAL ID cards, which will also reduce the time at   More...
  • 19. Can I make an appointment at the AAA License Services Center? Views: 103 Public
    Yes! The AAA License Bureau (DMV) in St. Louis Park MN does offer appointments. To book an appointment, visit AAA.com/Appointments .
  • 20. Can I register my boat, ATV or snowmobile at the AAA Minneapolis License Bureau? Views: 82 Public
    The AAA Minneapolis License Bureau offers MN DNR transactions, such as registration licensing for boats, canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, ATVs, OHVs, and snowmobiles.
  • 21. How do I apply for TSA PreCheck? Views: 53 Public
    To apply for TSA PreCheck, you will need to fill out a short online application and then schedule an in-person appointment at an enrollment center. Twin Cities TSA PreCheck Enrollment Center Locations Brooklyn Center Bloomington Terminal 1 of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (located past the security checkpoint). The in-person appointment takes about ten minutes and includes a background check and fingerprinting. For more information about TSA PreCheck, take a look at How TSA PreC  More...
  • 22. What is the difference between a REAL ID and an Enhanced Card? Views: 53 Public
    You can compare the differences between a REAL ID and an Enhanced card with the chart on our Driver's Licenses, Permits ID Cards page.
  • 23. Do I need a REAL ID? Views: 46 Public
    Yes: If you need to board a domestic flight on or after 10/1/20 AND any of the following apply: You do not have a valid passport You do not want to carry your passport for domestic travel You do not have an Enhanced ID card No: If any of the following apply: You have a current passport that you are willing to carry for all domestic flights You have an Enhanced ID card You will not need to board any flights If you do not wish to apply for a REAL ID, a standard driver's license card will c  More...
  • 24. Do minors need to have a REAL ID to fly domestically? Views: 27 Public
    The TSA does not require children under age 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. The companion will need acceptable identification.